Sticks and Stones

And concrete floors…break bones.

Early Sunday morning, I heard a ear-piercing scream come from Jack and Lily’s room.  I sprinted in there to find Lily sobbing after having fallen out of bed.  I calmed her down and put her back to bed.  She cried out again, so I sent Matt in to spend the rest of the night with her.  Sunday morning, she kept complaining about her ear and then it became her shoulder.  Matt and I gave her some Tylenol and said, “You’ll be alright.”  But everytime we picked her up or made her move her left arm, she screamed out in pain.  Now, Lily is a bit of a drama queen, so that’s why we didn’t worry about it at first.  But, the pain seemed to be especially bad. Dr. Matt said even if she did break her clavicle (collar bone), the doctor wouldn’t do much about it.  So, I made her a little pink sling to help remind us that she was hurt and to keep her from using her arm too much.  After we returned home from the Grandparent’s, we took Lily to the doctor Monday morning.

Sure enough, it was broken.

And she was coming down with croup, could hardly breathe, AND Matt was on 24-hour call.  But, I’m pretty sure there were some people praying for us.  Lily did not cry once on Monday!  She was so good all day.  The doctor said she would only have to wear this figure 8 harness for a week or two.  I don’t even have to go back unless she is still in pain after two weeks!  I am so thankful for God hearing your prayers and making Lily one tough little chica. 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Bunk Beds by Dad

I have longed to have really nice beds for my children that we could pass down to our grand kids, but the $1,000+ price tag was just too much for us to justify right now.  So, we have decided to make our own.  Thanks to Ana White’s website, we found a super cute and relatively easy (if you have a general knowledge of power tools) plan for bunk beds. It took us about a weekend and a half to build it (by us, I mean mostly Matt, and me only when he needed extra hands). We have yet to paint it, so it’s still a work in progress.  I think we have spent about $400 in wood, supplies, and a few extra tools.  There are no $400 beds as sturdy or as heavy as this sucker!  Plus, we can make them into two individual beds if need be.  I just want everyone to know how thankful I am for my husband who gave up a weekend and a vacation day to do this project and who has the know-how to get it done! He’s amazing. 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.